Silencerco Spectre II vs. Unsuppressed shooting

Here is a video showing the difference between an unsuppressed 4" Ruger Mark II and a Ruger 22/45 Lite with a Spectre II suppressor.  The ammo used in this comparison is bulk Remington Thunderbolt.  I have checked the ammo with a chronograph and it stays subsonic through the short 4" barrel.

I have found the more expensive subsonic ammo makes a big difference in sound in my 16" Savage Mark II FV-SR, but a lot of the bulk 22 LR ammo is subsonic through shorter pistol barrels.


I have only been shooting the Spectre II for a few weeks now, but so far I really like the noise reduction, ease of cleaning and overall appearance of the Spectre.  I have tried it out on the two guns mentioned above, the Savage Mark II FV-SR and the Ruger 22/45 Lite.  Both come from the factory with a threaded muzzle and thread protector.

I enjoy shooting the suppressed pistol and I will likely carry that with me this November as I head to the mountains for elk.  It might give me a chance at some ptarmigan or dusky grouse when the elk aren't too close.  The suppressed pistol will also allow me to shoot small game without spooking big game around me as much.

For overall suppression levels, it is hard to beat the bolt action 22 LR with subsonic ammo and the Spectre II.  The subsonic ammo lacks the supersonic crack and the bolt action removes any action noise that I might hear with a semi automatic host.  This would be a great combo for a dedicated rabbit gun, or just teaching someone how to shoot without having to worry about ear protection.

What is your favorite 22 suppressor and host firearm?  Let me know in the comment section below.

Don't forget to check out my Spectre II unboxing video to see how the suppressor works and some information about why I chose this specific model.


Comments

  1. Great post, just stumbled onto your Blog this morning. Enjoyed the videos as well, very clear and simple. I am waiting for a Specter II , hopefully I'll get it in December. I have a question, when you get approved by the ATF how will I be notified? By mail? or will the NFA deal notify me once I'm approved? Once again, great blog, I just bookmarked it, you have a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments! The ATF sends the approved forms to the entity or person that is in possession of the item, in the case of the purchase of a suppressor, the dealer will get the paperwork. I received a call from my dealer once they received the signed tax stamp from the ATF.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts