Christensen Arms MPR Extractor Replacement

If you've seen my post on the Christensen Arms MPR you know that I really like this rifle.  In fact I recently bought a second one in 6.5 PRC to increase my options for hunting larger game, such as Elk.  The one issue that I had with the rifle was an occasional failure to extract.  The problem wouldn't occur on every magazine or range trip.  But, if the conditions were dusty or less than ideal it would often occur more frequently.  In a couple competitions I shot down at the NRA Whittington Center I would run into a couple failures to extract over the course of a 60 round match.  


I dealt with the problem for longer than I should have, but after hearing great things about Christensen Arms' customer service I finally decided to give them a call.  When I reached them they said that they thought that the issue was likely a weak extractor or extractor spring.  They gave me the choice of either sending the rifle back to them to swap out the parts, or if I was comfortable with swapping them out myself they would just send me the parts.  An extractor swap is pretty simple so I asked for the parts so I wouldn't have to be without the gun.  



Once I had the parts in hand it was a pretty simple process to knock out the pin, swap the extractor and spring and pin them back in place.  If you have installed or replaced an AR-15 extractor it will be very similar.  With the new extractor in place I cycled some live and fired rounds, just to see if it seemed okay.  The fired rounds were to see if the expanded cases would cause any issues.


With the dry fire test done I took the rifle to the range and tried it out.  With that range trip and several more behind me I have not noticed any additional issues with extraction.  I have several hundred more rounds through it now with zero extraction issues and continue to be very happy with the rifle.  I bought both of the rifles through Sportsman's Warehouse.  I was able to buy the 6.5 PRC during a sale, but haven't received any compensation from Christensen Arms or Sportsman's Warehouse for these posts or videos.  I simply enjoy shooting this rifle and have found them in stock frequently at my local Sportsman's.


Do you have a Modern Precision Rifle, or any other Christensen Arms rifle?  Let me know what you think of it in the comments below.



Comments

Popular Posts