KRG Bolt Knob Installation and Review


Factory Remington rifles come with a fairly small and low profile bolt knob.  I shot with the factory bolt knob for quite awhile and while it isn't bad for the average shooter or hunter, the more I started shooting practical/tactical type competitions, the more I found it easy to slip off of the bolt knob when running the bolt fast.  I wanted to add a larger, tactical style bolt knob, but didn't really want to spend the money, or more importantly, the time without the bolt, to send it off to a gunsmith to have it done.

Online I found mention of the KRG Bolt Lift, which is made of two pieces and can be attached to the factory bolt knob without any permanent modifications.  The KRB Bolt Lift cost about as much as many of the options that are permanently mounted, but don't require gunsmith work and would only require a few minutes worth of assembly time.

Check out the video below for the installation and to see the bolt lift in action:



For the actual installation, the bolt knob comes with four O-rings.  Two thinner and two thicker O-rings.  I would suggest playing a little with the fit to see what works for you.  I tried a couple different combos and decided that using one of the thicker O-rings and one of the thinner would be a perfect fit.

The halves of the bolt knob go together with the screw going into the bottom half, as shown in the video title above.  I found that the bolt needed to be tightened quite a bit to prevent movement between the bolt knob and the factory bolt.  Once I got it tight enough, all movement was gone and the bolt knob fit almost like it was permanently mounted.

The instructions do say that you can fill the cavity around the factory bolt knob with epoxy to create a permanent mount of the KRG bolt knob.  Once I got the knob tight enough, I decided to leave it attached with just the bolt.

I attached the bolt knob in just a few minutes at the range and was able to immediately try it out.  On a square range, I liked the feel of the bolt knob, but didn't really think it felt much different than the standard factory knob.  It was later at some local precision rifle matches that I got to really appreciate it.


Over the next couple weeks I had the opportunity to try it out at the Cheyenne Mountain Precision Rifle Match and the Sporting Rifle Match at the NRA Whittington center.  It was at these matches that I really started to appreciate the larger bolt knob.  I found that under time constraints and less than ideal shooting positions it was much easier to get a good grip on the larger knob.  A better grip equated to better bolt manipulation.

So far after a couple range sessions and a couple matches, I am happy with the KRG Bolt Lift.  I like to DIY when I can, so I enjoyed being able to install it myself.  I also appreciated not having to send the bolt knob out and having to wait to get it back.  Only time will tell how durable it really is, but so far I am pleased with the results!

Comments

Popular Posts